Recent news of food delivering boy consuming the food ordered from the online restaurant business for customers raised many questions. Keeping this incident in mind and for future food safety for the customers, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has introduced strict guidelines for inspection and quality of food for both cooked and packed orders. Besides online restaurant business, these guidelines are also going to impact online food delivery companies like Zomato, Bigbasket, Swiggy, etc.
If you want to open a restaurant, check out this article.
New FSSAI Guidelines For Online Food Companies 2019
Considering the food safety of the consumer’s as a priority, FSSAI has taken some strict steps to enhance the quality of the food and reminding restaurants to not take it lightly. These new guidelines by FSSAI are not only for food listing websites but also for food delivery apps.
Following is a list of guidelines introduced by FSSAI in 2019 for online food companies to follow diligently.
- Food can be intercepted at any time: This means from cooking to final delivery of the packed food, it can be inspected at any stage of its process. From where it is being cooked and packed, to where it’s being delivered. For dine in restaurants, the food inspectors can come in at any time for inspections.
- Add indicative images on websites: From now on it is mandatory to add indicative images of the food on all online food delivery websites. This will enable the consumers to identify the food they are ordering as well as eliminate any chances of misinterpretation.
- Mention all Information: As per FSSAI Act, All mandatory information needs to be mentioned on the website. This information is available to consumers before they make any purchase online. For example shelf life, important directions, preserving for the next few days or anything for the websites selling packed food.
- Only Fresh Food: be it restaurants, big chains, QSRs or even online food ordering websites it now mandatory to only deliver fresh food. The food should have a shelf life of 30% or should be delivered 45 days prior to the expiry date. Give a quick read to know, how automation can help you manage your restaurant smoothly and efficiently.
- The food should only be handled and delivered by trained personnel. It is not only about cooking the food but also about the delivery executives. This guideline is to ensure that under no circumstances food for consumers should be handled carelessly.
- The safety of the food should not be compromised at any cost. The food should reach the consumer safely. From cooking to packing to delivery, food for consumers has to be handled cautiously at every stage.
Online grocery companies have already been facing challenges of delivering quality products within the stipulated time of hyperlocal deliveries. FSSAI is focusing on safety and quality of deliveries. Food ecommerce companies will have to maintain a high quality in deliveries.
With increasing usage and ordering food online on e-commerce food websites/companies, these new FSSAI guidelines aim to provide the best quality food and service to consumers.